About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Friday, November 19, 2004

Ruminate

I'm off for a week to spend Thanksgiving with my husband's family. We'll stay with his mother who's almost eighty, yet carries herself like a woman at least twenty years younger. We'll have dinner at my sister-in-law's, who recently fought off her six-foot plus mugger and refused to give up her purse--not because of the money inside, but because of the pictures of her children she didn't want to lose. And we'll be spending time with my amazing brother-in-law who has raised his daughter alone since she was born and has helped her to become the brilliant, independent, feminist ten-year-old that she is. And all the rest who are fun and unique, and loving.

I have much to be thankful for in my life. It would be impossible to list everything in the way I would want to. I'll just name a few from this past year:

*My three-year-old who is teaching me about the important things in life--all over again.

*My brilliant, beautiful teen-aged son who really is a great kid, and always has been, telling me he liked something I wrote.

*My husband, who is amazing, patient, intelligent, kind, strong, and oh so incredibly sexy.

*The many "I love you, Mommy's" I hear in a day.

*The freedom to live a joyful life.

*The adrenalin-rush, jaw-dropping, kick-ass feeling of a tornado less than a mile away and the I'm so grateful to be alive kind of calm after.

*My glorious writing friends who inspire me every day and lift me up with kind words and cheers.

*The fact that I thoroughly, completely enjoy life, its difficult times, its easy times, its ugliness, its humbling beauty, and everything it entails.

Have a wonderful holiday.

No comments:

Web Analytics