About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Ruminate

America's Wrong Turn

Yesterday I listened to Richard Viguerie speak on NPR promoting his new book. Viguerie has long been associated with the conservative movement and the religious right, and largely responsible for its rising voice in talk radio. Viguerie is an intelligent man, and apparently a powerful man, with enough gall to offer up idiotic, ignorant, prejudiced statements as if they were gold. One that really had me choking was his insisting that he and his ilk were the tolerant ones while homosexuals were the mean-spirited hate-mongers descrecrating the churches of the innocent religious right. Yeah, sure.

And then the blatant admission that talk radio is so succesfully conservative because liberals like to look at an issue from more than one angle, whereas conservatives are comfortable with their black-and-white beliefs that can be summed up in short sound-bites. In other words: dumb and dumber--or perhaps scary and scarier.

I suppose what most annoyed me was his claim that his beliefs are shared by all of America, thus the title of his new book: America's Right Turn.

Sorry, buddy. This is one American you have failed to convince--I still have full use of my brain--and my soul.

And until the religious right's one-sided, selfish, "morals" begin to address real problems and show real compassion for its fellow men and women around the world, I will continue to view the hate-filled, illogical garbage it promotes as simply ridiculous.

From an editorial in The Pilot by H. Adrian Osborne: Thomas Paine, patriot and author of “Common Sense”: “My own mind is my own church. All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind and monopolize power and profit.”

No comments:

Web Analytics