About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Monday, January 17, 2005

Illuminate

I’ve just finished Mary Gaitskill’s second story collection, Because They Wanted To,” which seemed to me just as fresh as her first, with a quieter, deeper reflection on the human condition and dazzling gems of insight imbedded in its rich foundation. Each of the twelve stories (eight stories and four connected stories within a novella) is a tale of unrequited love in varying forms and degrees. In “Tiny, Smiling Daddy,” a father discovers his lesbian daughter has published an article about their relationship; in “Because They Wanted To,” a destitute runaway agrees to baby sit a stranger’s three children for an afternoon while the woman hunts for a job, and reflects on the past that drove her to Canada; and in “The Girl on the Plane,” a man is seated next to a woman that reminds him of a woman he once gang-raped and when confronted with the brutality of the act, desperately searches for ways in which he could excuse or explain his behavior. I most admire Gaitskill’s incredible ability to pin down the nuanced behaviors and thoughts that make us all paradoxically universal and unique.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Great review, Katrina! This is on my to read list now.

katrina said...

I think you'll like it, Katie!

Web Analytics