About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Illuminate

Erin Macgraw's Lies of the Saints is full of quirky people with modest, earnest desires. In the first story, "The Return of the Argentine Tango Masters," a radio talk show host has to deal with daily phone calls from her ex-husband which make her ratings soar; in "Rich," a man believes he has won the lottery, only to find out his best friend had set it up as a joke; in "Blue Skies," a woman discovers she is uneasy with her husband's new sobriety and is constantly on guard for him to fail; in "Suburban Story," a woman performs an unexpected miracle and gains a reputation in her neighborhood for being a healer; and in the last three connected stories, saintliness is explored as the reader follows one Irish Catholic family through the years. I loved this collection and MacGraw's characters.

I also finished Mary Robison's Tell Me: 30 Stories a combination of selections from three of her previous collections. I loved these beautiful, often quiet stories. Most of all I appreciated Robison's unpretentious, perfect endings. The woman can end a story!

3 comments:

Kath Fish said...

Yes, I love this book! She's excellent...

Kath Fish said...

Oh, I'm talking about Mary Robison. Haven't read the novel you mentioned, Katrina...

katrina said...

I think she's wonderful...and I really like MacGraw's stories too.

Web Analytics