About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Illuminate

This afternoon I went to see "Hotel Rwanda".

I cried during the whole thing. This may have been the most difficult movie for me to sit through. And there were times I wanted to get out of my seat. I made myself watch it. Not to torture myself, but because this is part of life. I am fortunate it is not part of MY life at this moment, but it is a piece of the human experience on this planet and I will not look away.

Genocide is never comfortable or pretty or tolerable. In whatever form it takes, genocide is unbearable and ugly and inhumane. But this is an important movie and the main character of the movie, Paul Rusesabagina, is a hero. Don't miss this movie.

2 comments:

Jai said...

I think it's one of those you have to see and go through. it's not sentimental in any way is it? bare and honest is how I imagine it

katrina said...

It's definitely unflinchingly honest. I wouldn't say it is sentimental, no, although it's not all horrific--there's the main character's relationship with his wife--but that's not the focus, it's a side dish.

Web Analytics