About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Illuminate

I must be one of the only writers who hadn’t read Lorrie Moore’s “Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? Until last week. Did I enjoy it? Well yes, but I enjoyed it more for the memories it evoked in me. Right away I knew Lorrie Moore’s setting was my own childhood setting, if not exactly, pretty damn close. The Storyland in her novel is the very Storyland I went to as a child, just over the New York border near Glens Falls. I believe it’s called Great Escape now. But then, back then in the seventies, the time Moore captures so well, it was still Storyland where all the stories came alive and a kid could get lost in a park of magic. And some of the language Moore uses: downstreet for downtown. My beloved grandfather always said downstreet. And the place to which her character drives to help her friend: Elm Street, Rutland, well that’s a dear place to me: my oldest son’s grandparents lived on the street for over fifty years. It’s a combination of these things strung together by the mood of the times and the place. I could picture not only the people of Moore’s novel clearly, I could picture the people of my youth as well. Thanks, Lorrie.

1 comment:

Myfanwy Collins said...

I had the same sort of reaction to it, Kat!

Web Analytics