About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Illuminate: "Embroideries"

Yesterday I bought a copy of "Embroideries" by Marjane Satrapi. I'd actually seen a recommendation by my friend Laila Lalami on her literary blog and it sounded intriguing. It's an insightful look at a gathering of Iranian women as they share tea after lunch in one of the women's living room. They also share intimate secrets and stories; many of the stories made me laugh out loud and many are truly universal. I loved the honesty of the novel, and the self-acceptance. The drawings are a delightful match for the text. Reading "Embroideries" was like being there in the same living room with that wonderful clan of women.

No comments:

Web Analytics