About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Illuminate: A Girl Becomes a Comma Like That

Knowing that I loved Lisa Glatt's story collection, The Apple's Bruise I figured I would enjoy her novel A Girl Becomes a Comma Like That, I just didn't know how much I would love it. It's really a novel-in-stories or a collection of linked stories as each story could stand on its own and some already have been published in literary journals. The main character, Rachel Sparks, cannot seem to connect to any one man, at least while she's busy holding on to her dying mother. Georgia, a young bright teenager, gives herself away too often and easily and gains nothing but venereal deseases and unwanted pregnancies but still manages to keep her dignity. Emma, a student poet, works at the women's clinic and is married to a cheating bat scientist. Angela, friend of Rachel, is prone to allergic reactions that make her lips "swell up to look like a vagina" and her face and body break out in severe hives. In the background of Rachel's life is this young man in her poetry classes that keeps showing up with offers of friendship and support.

The writing really shines and the honesty is heartbreaking. I loved reading every word.

2 comments:

Clifford Garstang said...

Glatt has a story in the current Zoetrope: All-story ("Body Shop"). It's good, although not the strongest story in that issue, in my opinion.

Myfanwy Collins said...

sounds wonderful. I love the title. Love it.

Web Analytics