About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

On Writing

I've been working for the past week on revising a story. I used to revise with the old manuscript close by so that I could refer to it as I went. This time, I started the story again and didn't look at the old ms at all. What it allowed me to do was tell the story from the place I am now, rather than where I was when I first wrote it four or five months ago. I'm almost finished with it--I wrote about a thousand words today--and then I'll put it away for a bit before I begin my line by line revisions.

How do you revise? Do you start all over or do you stick to the original?


"Everything, especially the first draft. I don't mind revision. Revision is when it really happens. That's when you can bring artistry to bear on it and be crafty and smart. But, first drafts, it's like sandblasting with my forehead. I never do it for more than a couple of hours a day. And revising I can do all day."---Richard Bausch

read the rest of the interview: The Capital Times

2 comments:

Myfanwy Collins said...

Fascinating, Kat.

I do not have the guts to revise that way. I need to be hip deep in the original file and just tear it apart and paste it back together or build upon it and knock it down and build it back up again.

Starting from scratch, though? I've not done that. I would like to say I would try it, but I don't know that I ever will.

Do you think you will do it again? Are you pleased with the outcome?

katrina said...

With some stories I know I wouldn't, no matter what. But with this one, I knew I wanted to keep the same characters and at the same time, redirect the path of the story because I felt I had strayed too far from my intention. And as far as being pleased...I'll let you know when I'm finished. :)

I like your method of revising too. And it takes a considerable amount of guts as well to tear something down and build it back up.

Web Analytics