About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Illuminate

I'm getting ready for our yearly trip to see family in Connecticut and a stay on the Cape. What books to bring? The trouble isn't so much WHAT to bring as it is how many. I average three books a week. I know on vacation I always read considerably less than I do at home. Funny, that. So my "to take" pile began at twenty. I managed to whittle it down to seventeen. Then yesterday I got brave and took out five more. So now I'll be taking twelve. A respectable number.

Anyway...these are my July reads PRE-vacation:




“Dreaming Water” by Gail Tsukiyama

“Little Children” by Tom Perrotta

“The Center of Winter” by Marya Hornbacher

“The Bright Forever” by Lee Martin

“Lost in the Forest” by Sue Miller

“Making It Up As I Go Along” by Maria T. Lennon

“O My Darling” by Amity Gaige



The Martin novel was an excellent study of the driving force in narrative; the Perotta novel was sadly hilarious; the Hornbacher novel was atmospheric; the Lennon Novel suprised me and was richer than I expected; and the Gaige novel was a study in language and character--tightly written.

No comments:

Web Analytics