About Me

My photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Rebecca Curtis and Yannick Murphy

I'm always delighted when I find a writer whose work excites me. I've been slowly making my way through the 2007 O'Henry Awards anthology and Rebecca Curtis' "Summer, with Twins" is a standout. This story works for me on many levels: its narrative is interesting and full of strife and tension, but there's all this stuff, this subtext, much of which I can't define, underneath it all heightening every emotion: fear, anger, outrage. Curtis is a subtle writer yet straightfoward. So when I read a story I like as much as I liked this one, sometimes I take the time to do a bit of research on the writer. I found this interview in Sunspinner, and this interview with Tao Lin on his blog. Still digging around, I ordered Curtis' story collection Twenty Grand and Other Tales of Love and Money, and found stories by her in The New Yorker and Harpers.
Of course, I'm always a bit late in my discoveries, but I'm not the only fan.

The other standout in the O'Henry anthology so far is Yannick Murphy's "In a Bear's Eye" which is just stunning to read--very emotive and beautifully written. I can't wait to read more of her work. Her short story collection by the same name is forthcoming from Dzanc Books. Here's an interview with Murphy published in the LA Weekly.

Happy Reading.

No comments:

Web Analytics