About Me

My photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Three Recommended Reads




I've been reading some great books lately. Earlier this month I raved about Fecilia Sullivan's memoir "The Sky Isn't Visible From Here." Not only is it an amazing story but it's artfully written as well.

I've also read Patry Francis' "The Liar's Diary." Just when you think you know where the story is headed, Francis surprises and surprises. A great read!

Vendela Vida's "Let the Nothern Lights Erase Your Name" is beautifully spare and sophisticated. I enjoyed this book so much I'm looking into reading her others.

And lastly, "The Underrstory" by Pamela Erens is an incredible read. She's given us an interesting, flawed, wonderful character in the narrator and her prose has an elegance similar to that of Coetzee.

No comments:

Web Analytics