About Me

My photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Friday, April 04, 2008

Franco's Tomb



We were riding on a train out to Segovia when I saw this enormous white cross against the distant mountains (in the middle ground you can just make it out). I asked my sister-in-law about it. She explained that Franco had it built for his fallen men and that he was buried there. The men who built it were Franco's prisoners, some of whom died building it and many, many, injured. She also explained that as beautiful as I found it to be, many Spaniards still saw it as a fascist symbol and an ugly reminder of the cruelty of Franco. There are many pictures of the cross on the internet, but I couldn't find any that captured the sense of distant enormity as much as the one my niece took here.

No comments:

Web Analytics