About Me

My photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

"People of the Book"



I loved, loved, loved this book by Pulitzer Prize winner, Geraldine Brooks. Inspired by the rescue of the Sarajevo Haggadah by a Moslim librarian, Brooks takes the reader backward along the sacred book's journey from the late 1990s, when a rare book expert comes in contact with it, all the way back to the 1400s. This book is rich with history featuring people at their worst (Bosnian war, World War 11, the Spanish Inquisition) and the people who broke through any boundaries set by society and their own religious beliefs to save the exquisitely illustrated Jewish book.

No comments:

Web Analytics