About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Picasso at the Reina Sofia


Despite the fact that I was hit by the flu again my second week in Madrid, I got out everyday--some days in better shape than others. One of the things that lured me out of the flat was a special Picasso show at the Reina Sofia with over 400 of his pieces, many of which came from Paris. Picasso is one of my favorite artists and to see so many of his works was amazing, humbling and inspiring. One of the advantages of seeing so many pieces is that one can really see his progression as an artist, from age 14 until his death. Picasso seemed to be always stretching, growing, changing, yet maintaining his "voice." I love his masculine sense of color and design and the complete confidence he displays in his work--no matter the medium.

The most powerful part of the exhibit was when I entered the room in which photos of the bomb victims were hung and then walked straight from there to the room that housed Guernica. I don't think I've ever been so moved by a piece of art as that.


My favorite pieces in the show besides, of course, Guernica, were La Cocina and Embrace

No comments:

Web Analytics