About Me

My photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Monday, November 24, 2008

In the Devil's Territory by Kyle Minor

I read a lot of short story collections and once in a while I come across one that does more than dazzle on the technical level, does more than introduce me to foreign lands, does more than show me a different side of humanity. Once in a while I come across a collection, such as this one, Kyle Minor’s “In the Devil’s Territory,” that does all those things and at the same time, reaches in and holds my heart all the way through, sometimes giving it a pinch or a jab, and other times stretching it, stretching, until I fear the very flesh of it might rip, then massaging it gently back to …to…well to a state of calm, but most definitely changed.
What struck me most about the six stories in this collection is that all of them have redemption at their core without being obvious about it. Minor’s characters stumble into or upon grace through the ordinary, such as with the first harrowing story of a man on the verge of possibly losing his pregnant wife and his child, and through all of this drama his understanding of his own mother’s pain, both literal and metaphorical stands out. Ironically, it is in the quiet moment in the end of the story between three generations of men that the reader can find a seed of grace.
“A Day Meant to do Less” is as rich as a novel. It begins with a man left with the troubling task of undressing his mother and takes us through the journey that was the woman’s life. In the end, the reader understands that is the secrets we refuse to reveal that are our eventual undoing.
Minor shows us the many faces of love in his story “A Love Story,” and how lives are affected when people attempt to squeeze such an abstraction into neat boxes.
In “Goodbye Hills, Hello Night,” we see how for a young man out with his friends a night can start innocent enough and end up with a murder. And to that young man the murder might have appeared inevitable but upon further inspection he knows there was opportunity for prevention all along and how then does he live with that? He’ll live with it through the generosity of his father. It is this quiet, understated scene at the end of the story that best underscores Minor’s success in delivering uncontrived redemption.
In “The Navy Man” I think I fell in love a bit. For how could I resist such assured knowledge of the other? The reader is introduced to the fact that once again love is not something that can be shaped or channeled, but rather, like it or not, love often has a will of its own and we can stifle that will or we can flow with it.
And in the last story Minor tells us the story of several people whose pasts lead them along a path that merge unhappily in the end and without spoiling the story, I will point out the inspired genius of Minor’s last sentences: “Mistakes were made long ago. It is someone else’s fault. We can’t be held responsible, but we are very sorry.”

Sadly I'm leaving out comments regarding the many gems inside this collection, all the ways in which the sentences glitter, all the wisdom, all the loveliness, all the earth-shaking ugliness. But perhaps it's best for you to discover them on your own.
Yes. I think it is.

9 comments:

Jim Tomlinson said...

Great review, Katrina, of a collection that I've been enjoying these past few days. Kyle Minor is a hugely talented young writer. More and more readers are learning this, now that In The Devil's Territory is out in the world.

katrina said...

I loved it, Jim. I never wanted it to end. The reader in me was thrilled and the writer in me was inspired. Yup, I could learn a thing or ten from this guy.

Myfanwy Collins said...

Great review! This books sounds great. I cannot wait to read it.

katrina said...

BTW, I should be getting your collection in the mail soon!!!

katrina said...

Myf, You will LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

I thought the book was well written but I did not like the way the stories were so dark. Every character was flawed in some way. Nobody was a hero. We need more heroes these days. Why don't writers make heroes?

katrina said...

Ha! Well, I'll just say to heck with Heros. Heros put me to sleep. Give me flawed people anyday!

小貓咪 said...

A漫,h漫,成人漫畫,免費A片,色情網站,色情遊戲,情色文學,麗的色遊戲,色情,色情影片,同志色教館,色色網,色遊戲,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片,免費影片,免費小遊戲,免費遊戲,小遊戲,遊戲,好玩遊戲,好玩遊戲區,A片,情趣用品,遊戲區,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆,遊戲基地,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,遊戲口袋,我的遊戲口袋,小遊戲區,手機遊戲,貼圖,A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片

Lily Lang said...

Nice Review.LIKE aart

Web Analytics