About Me

My photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Reading List



Two books I'm very excited to have on my reading shelf are "Doctor Olaf van Schuler's Brain" by Kirsten Menger-Anderson and "in the devil's territory" by Kyle Minor.

I'm almost finished with Kirsten's book and let me tell you it's an amazing tour of primitive medicine through the years. If you're anything like me, and know that mad doctors, weird cures and history all woven together with excellent prose is your thing, then this is definitely a book you will want for reading pleasure.

And I'm itching to dig into Kyle's collection. I'm a fan of his nonfiction which is emotive and human and beautifully written and now I'm looking forward to reading his made-up stories.

3 comments:

kma said...

Hi, Kat! Very happy to hear you're enjoying Olaf! Thanks for posting about the book.

Frank Dineen (fmd47@comcast.net) said...

Hi Katrina,

You may remember me as the author of two stories you declined for Storyglossia a some months back; you were thoughtful enough to write me two appreciative notes about them. One, "The Quarry", was about a grieving father, a callous cosmetic surgeon ('Dr. Face') and a Maserati. The other, "The Pug Einstein", concerned a brother and sister and the burial place of their mother.

Because, as you know, positive feedback is a vital spur for fiction writers, I thought I'd let you know that a subsequent story of mine was just shortlisted for the 2008 Bridport Prize, the UK-based open competition which draws several thousand entries from over 80 countries. It's evidently the biggest of its kind in the English-speaking world.

So - thanks for your encouragement.

My regards,
Frank Dineen

katrina said...

Frank, That's wonderful news! Congratulations!

Web Analytics