About Me

My photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Pictures of Process

Sandy Novack, author of "Precious," has generously posted pictures of her process during the writing of her debut novel. I'm always fascinated by how other writers work, and I suspect many of us are. It's such an insular act and so when we're allowed a peek into another writer's world, I think it may alleviate some of the loneliness.

It's also a superb example of the power of revision and the power of the process itself. Reading Sandy's book, you can see for yourselves how something amazingly beautiful can emmerge from a process that's allowed to get "messy."

Here's to getting messy.

3 comments:

Andrew Roe said...

Thanks for posting this, Katrina. I'm also interested in how other writers work. And I agree about the alleviating loneliness part.

Sandra's process might be messy but it also seems pretty rigorous. There's a system in place. My own process... well, not so much.

But that's the thing about process and/or revision. There's no "right" or "wrong" way. Everyone is different. Whatever works, works.

katrina said...

That's exactly right, Andy. Whatever works. In fact, my process has been different for both novels. At some point when I'm over this virus from hell, I'll post about it.

Congratulations again on having your stories performed in LA. Do you know who will read them yet?

Andrew Roe said...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Looking forward to reading that post!

And no word on who will be reading the stories. There isn't even a specific date for the event yet. But I'll post something once I get more info.

Web Analytics