About Me

My photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Novel, Story, Novel, Story...

I sat down with my rough draft this morning and read and took notes on the first five chapters. At first, I panicked at the amount of work there was to be done after looking at the thing in the harsh morning-after light. But there's definitely something there that still excites me and that's really all I can ask of a first draft.

Oddly, in the last day or two, I've been getting flashes of inspiration for a story/excerpt of my other novel and am now desperate to revise that piece. Go figure.

13 comments:

Laura Ellen Scott said...

Oh that fickle feeling. I know it well. For me, I can't really impose a 'decision' (thinking about your May 8 post on process). If something else is exciting, I have to follow that and believe that I'll return soon--but not until when I'm ready to 1) like what I've done so far, and 2)do good work again.

katrina said...

Yup. So far, I've found that works for me. And I find it interesting that you can put something away for a year or more, and then one day, *bling* your excitement for the piece is renewed.

Ethel Rohan said...

Congratulatons, again, on having a first draft to sit down with. I say follow the energy and inspiration :-)

Laura van den Berg said...

Oh, Katrina, I hear your pain. I am in a similar boat, going through a first draft of my novel and doing round 1 of revision notes and also feeling overwhelmed. Congrats on getting the draft done (that's huge!) and good luck with the revision!

katrina said...

Thanks, Laura. Good luck with yours, too. I can't wait to read it and your COLLECTION!!!

katrina said...

Thanks, Ethel. You're very wise.

Andrew Roe said...

Yes, I can relate. As you know, I've been doing some vacillating between projects. Finally I think I'm clear on where I'll put my focus. I think...

But I've found the same thing happen: I finish a draft (a major accomplishment) and then I get itchy and want to work on something else. Sometimes it's good to step away from that draft, sometimes it's good to dive right back (I've done it both ways; really depends on the project/time/author/etc.)

No Name Me said...

I am cranking out some short stories and my brain is on the novel again. Damn brain.

As for revising: You'll see your way through it!!! I have total faith in you and your process.

katrina said...

Thanks, my friend!! I want a peek at those stories!! I love your stories. :)

katrina said...

Andy,

Which projects are you working on? Two novels? Novels and stories? I'd like to know more... Your writing is amazing, by the way. I read a few of your stories the other day and was blown away.

Andrew Roe said...

Thanks, Katrina, for taking the time to read some of my stuff and for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

To answer your question: I was working on a novel, then, after my twins were born (about a year ago), switched to a memoir, then started another novel. (Throughout, I was working on stories here and there as well.) So, as you can see, I have a little focus problem.

After some ruminating/soul searching, I think I'm back to the novel I was working on before I jumped to the memoir. But now I'm in that panic stage of revisiting something I haven't worked on for a while. Ah, the joys of writing...

katrina said...

Good luck with your novel, Andy. How far along are you? I'm sure it will be stunning.

Andrew Roe said...

Thanks again, Katrina. I'm maybe... 38 percent done. But as I said, I need to revisit earlier pages. I've been revising in my head; now I need to do it on paper (or screen, rather).

Web Analytics