About Me

My photo
My work can be found in REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, New Delta Review, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an Associate editor for Narrative Magazine. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Friday, May 08, 2009

Question on Process

Okay, so I have these three chapters that have just been sketched in as place markers. I'm going in now to fill them in, but I'm considering (but not decided) a major change to the book, a main character getting banished to back story. Do I fill in the chapters with new change in mind, or with same character and make the changes in revision?

What would you do?

Here's what I'm going to do...postpone killing the character until I have the full draft done.

Oh boy. Can't wait to see what kind of mess I have when I'm finished.

5 comments:

About T. J. Forrester said...

That's a tough one, Kat.

Ellen said...

I don't think there's a right and wrong way to handle this, but here's what I'd do ...

Start by making notes about the possible change. I'd ask myself every question about could happen as a result and how it would impact the story and the other characters. This exercise would help me determine for sure if I want to make that change.

Then I'd go in and write it that way.

Hope I'm making sense ...

xo

katrina said...

That's a great idea! Thanks, Ellen. I appreciate the advice.

Mary Akers said...

I'd probably end up doing a little bit of both and make the first draft a dreadful hodge-podge. But that's just my usual process. :)

katrina said...

But it seems to work for you, Mary, because the end result is stunning!

Web Analytics