About Me

My photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

"Easy for You" Stories by Shannan Rouss

I found this gem of a collection in my local bookstore and LOVED it. The voice in these stories is assured and controlled and clear. I think my favorite story might be "Belief in Italy" in which the narrator, a woman with an eating disorder, goes to Italy with her chef boyfriend. I enjoyed all of these stories and will be looking out for more work by Rouss.

Here's a video of Rouss discussing the inspiration and process behind the book:

2 comments:

Ethel Rohan said...

Thanks for sharing, Katrina. I enjoyed the short video. I hadn't heard of Shannan Rouss (great name). It's almost frightening how much wonderful writing and stories exist, and how we can't possibly get to it all. How nice to find the collection at your bookstore. It was meant to come to you ...

katrina said...

Ethel,

My shelves are overflowing with unread books, and they all look enticing. Such a wonderful problem to have. But you're right. There's no way to get to them all...

Web Analytics