About Me

My photo
Originally from Vermont, I now live in North Carolina. My work can be found in recent issues of REAL: Regarding Arts and Letters, The Jabberwock Review, The Emerson Review, Storyglossia, The MacGuffin, Confrontation, Passages North, SmokeLong Quarterly, elimae, wigleaf, Pank, and Gargoyle #57, among others. One of my stories has been translated into Farsi by Asadollah Amraee, and many others by Jalil Jafari, two of which have been published in the Iranian journal, Golestaneh Magazine. Currently, I'm an assistant editor for Narrative Magazine. I'm also working on two novels and a short story collection. In 2011, I was awarded the Carol Houck Smith Contributor Scholarship for the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Curio

is Laura Ellen Scott's collection offered in installments by Uncannyvalley.

Each of these first three pieces shows just how talented and imaginative Laura is. My favorite so far is "The Brewsters."

Excerpt: The tin screams as we enter forcibly to stand inside damnation. The Brewster children sleep in a pile, stuck together like old candy. Their parents are naked and chattering in the tub of a wringer washer, tipped over. Sometimes I think I want a love like that. They don’t even know we’re here.

3 comments:

Laura Ellen Scott said...

thank you so much! I didn't even see this post before today.

Laura Ellen Scott said...

. . .but, does it seem like a novel to you? I've heard that before about parts of it.

katrina said...

Well, I can't comment on the whole of it since I haven't read it all yet, but there's a connection of voice and mood and intelligent playfulness in these pieces. I must have labeled it wrong. It's a collection, a curio full of surprises.

Web Analytics